Here is my DIY recipe for almond butter. It is a much healthier option than peanut butter, since peanuts are often full of moulds and are difficult to digest (even the organic ones).
Add some healthy protein and healthy fat to your snack or breakfast with a homemade nut butter.
Sliced apple with almond butter is a wonderful start to a Fall day.
Use this butter in my Power Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. and watch for my Almond Butter Cups (better than Reese's) and Flourless Zucchini Brownie recipes... both coming soon!
2 cups raw almond
1/8 tsp salt
1-2 TBSP flaxseed or sesame oil (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180 C
2. Spread the raw almonds on a baking sheet and roast them for 10 minutes.
3. Cool only slightly, and transfer the warm almonds into your food processor. The warmth speeds up the process!
4. Blend the almonds on medium speed for up to15 minutes, scraping down the sides as necessary. Really, this works!
5. When you have a good creamy almond butter, add the remaining ingredients and blend for 2-5 minutes more.
6. I like to add the extra 1-2 tbsp of oil to have a nice spreadable butter to serve with apples for my kids’ snack or breakfast.
**If you are not sure about the ‘endurance’ of your food processor, take some breaks in the blending process to prevent it from overheating. Some will need 15 minutes blending others will need 5 minutes. It depends on your food processor.