Κυριακή 24 Φεβρουαρίου 2013

Lunchbox Individual Chicken Pies


My three kids love taking chicken pie to school for lunch on Mondays and I have to admit that it was one of the last items in my shopping cart that was not homemade.  Yes, I still buy my pastry and that might change but now my kids are taking homemade chicken pie to school that is dairy free, preservative free and made with free range organic chicken and eggs.  I feel pretty good about that AND my kids love them even more than the packaged stuff. 

You will need:

2 organic chickens
1 cup chicken broth
1kg (2 lbs) diced onions
2c cooked brown rice
6 eggs
2 tsp salt
¼ tsp nutmeg
3 packages of KouRou pastry / short crust Greek pastry
(OR make your own with this recipe:
 http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1326604)

Steps:
1) Boil the chickens and onions in the broth for about 45 minutes.

2) Remove chicken from the bone and cut into small pieces.

3) Drain onions from the broth.  (save the broth to make soup)

4) Whisk together eggs, salt, and nutmeg 

5) Stir in the rice and cut chicken.



6) Remove one sheet of pastry at a time and cut into 12 even squares.



7) Spoon one heaping tablespoon of chicken mixture into center of square and fold opposite corners over like a package. 


  
8) Place individual pies on cooking tray lined with parchment paper.



9) Brush pies lightly with olive oil.

10) Bake in 180C oven for about 45 minutes.

Makes 30-36 pies. 

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου